This seems to be common on the 2002-2003 Nissan Maxima’s. Below is a procedure you can follow before going to the dealer.
- Faulty or not programmed ignition key
- Faulty IMMU
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
This code is usually triggered when a not registered or damaged key is used to start the engine. When the starting operation is carried out five or more times consecutively with the same unregistered key, the system will lock. If the problem occurs try disconnecting the car battery for about 30 minutes and then try starting the engine with a known registered key. If the problem persists you have to have the dealer erase the code and reprogram the keys again. If problem persists after disconnecting the car battery, try the following:
ESCAPE FROM LOCK MODE
1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Turn ignition switch ON with registered key. (Do not start engine.) Wait 5 seconds.
3. Return the key to OFF position.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 twice (total of three cycles).
5. Start the engine.
When is the code detected?
When the starting operation is carried out five or more times consecutively with an unregistered ignition key or faulty key.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Engine would not start
P1610 Nissan Description
An immobilizer is an electronic device fitted to an automobile which prevents the engine from running unless the correct key is present. This prevents the car from being hotwired after entry has been achieved.
The microcircuit inside the key is activated by a small electromagnetic field which induces current to flow inside the key body, which in turn broadcasts a unique binary code which is read by the automobile’s Engine Control Module (ECM). When the ECM determines that the coded key is both current and valid, the ECM activates the fuel-injection sequence.
The immobilizer function of the Infiniti Vehicle Immobilizer System (IVIS) or Nissan Anti-Theft System (NATS) consists of the following:
– NATS ignition key
– NATS antenna amp. located in the ignition key cylinder
– Body control module (BCM) or (IMMU)
– Engine Control Module (ECM)
– Security indicator lamp