The mixture ratio feedback control system monitors the mixture ratio signal transmitted from air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1. This feedback signal is then sent to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The ECM controls the basic mixture ratio as close to the theoretical mixture ratio as possible. However, the basic mixture ratio is not necessarily controlled as originally designed. Both manufacturing differences (i.e., mass air flow sensor hot wire) and characteristic changes during operation (i.e., fuel injector clogging) directly affect mixture ratio.
Accordingly, the difference between the basic and theoretical mixture ratios is monitored in this system. This is then computed in terms of “injection pulse duration” to automatically compensate for the difference between the two ratios.
“Fuel trim” refers to the feedback compensation value compared against the basic injection duration. Fuel trim includes short term fuel trim and long term fuel trim.
“Short term fuel trim” is the short-term fuel compensation used to maintain the mixture ratio at its theoretical value. The signal from air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 indicates whether the mixture ratio is RICH or LEAN compared to the theoretical value. The signal then triggers a reduction in fuel volume if the mixture ratio is rich, and an increase in fuel volume if it is lean.
“Long term fuel trim” is overall fuel compensation carried out long-term to compensate for continual deviation of the short term fuel trim from the central value. Such deviation will occur due to individual engine differences, wear over time and changes in the usage environment.
- Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
- Turn ignition switch OFF.
- Disconnect mass air flow sensor harness connector, and restart and run engine for at least 3 seconds at idle speed.
- Stop engine and reconnect mass air flow sensor harness connector.
- Make sure Detected Trouble Code (DTC) P0102 is displayed.
- Erase the DTC memory. (This could be done by disconnecting the car battery for 30-45 min or with a scanner)
- Make sure no codes are stored in the ECM.
- Run engine for at least 10 minutes at idle speed.