Member Credit: EddyMaxx
The instructions below will help you program new key fob’s on your 2002-2003 Nissan Maxima. A few days ago, I thought I left my keys in the car. It didn’t turn out to be the case but I decided to key an extra key and some additional key fobs. The key fobs are super cheap on eBay. I purchased two of them for under $8 bucks shipped. Always good to have an extra set because you never know.
This only works if you have the original key fob and key. If you lost your keys, then that is a different story that will require additional work.
Before entering programming mode, you need to have all of the key fobs/transmitters that you will be using on your car (including the original FOB). Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.
- Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock switch located on the driver’s door panel.
- Insert key into the ignition (DON’T TURN) and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least 6 times within 10 seconds (this will need to be done at approximately one second intervals). You may need to insert and remove the key up to 10 or 12 times until your hazard lamps flash. PLEASE NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If this procedure is performed too fast or too slow the system will not enter programming mode.
- Insert key into ignition and turn to the ACC position.
- Within 5 seconds, push the LOCK button on the keyless remote. Your hazard lamps will flash. PLEASE NOTE: Do not press the button on the remote more than one time or the programming will not be successful.
- If there are any remaining remotes (including working ones), Unlock then Lock all doors using the switch on the driver’s door panel. Within 5 seconds of locking and unlocking doors press the LOCK button on the next remote. Your hazard lamps will flash. Repeat this step for each remote (including any working remotes).
- When all remotes have been programmed turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door. Test all remotes.