Member Credit: yellow_cake

Hi folks, just thought I’d share my retrofit project on my 99 Maxima.

Components:
– Used Depo headlights.
– G37 sedan projector.
– ’13 Cadillac SRX semi-clear lens.
– OEM G37 shrouds.
– Denso Slim ballasts.
– Osram CBI 66240 bulbs.
– Nichia Superflux white LEDs.
– exLEDs reflectors for superflux LEDs.
– Custom wiring harness + DRL & headlight controller.

Mounted using the JNC method, giving minor rotation and height adjustment on top of the factory reflector adjusters (vert + horiz).
For more info about the JNC mounting method: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show…model-pictures
Name: DSC_6315_zpsniwiyhzy.jpg Views: 458 Size: 198.3 KB

OEM G37 sedan shrouds fitted.
Name: DSC_6424_zpsy86jetgf.jpg Views: 412 Size: 156.0 KB

After cutting the container, I used lots of JB weld to secure it into place.
Not shown, but there is also a bunch of epoxy around the inside for added strength. For that I used a self-mixing syringe type clear epoxy.
Name: DSC_6302_zpscv6dde42.jpg Views: 357 Size: 146.1 KB

Here it is, fitment with the reflector mounted into the housing.
The empty containers were from workout supplements; different colours, but both were identical in size.
Name: DSC_6311_zpst4jlgrmj.jpg Views: 336 Size: 134.6 KB

I used a sheet of balsa wood for the base, with some chrome vinyl for the front edge which will be visible.
The LED were secured into the reflectors with epoxy; the reflectors secured to the base & one-another with clear epoxy.
Name: DSC_6274_zpsvewxgibc.jpg Views: 357 Size: 212.9 KB

Home-made resistor array, clear-coated after everything was soldered to prevent the copper from oxidizing.
Name: DSC_6440_zpshiwqmqhy.jpg Views: 350 Size: 120.1 KB

Name: DSC_6276_zpsiucgpwtx.jpg Views: 335 Size: 186.8 KB

Epoxy’d the DRL base into place.
Name: DSC_6431_zpsypfghzkc.jpg Views: 394 Size: 176.0 KB

Cutout the top cover, also made from a sheet of balsa wood. Showing the bottom view where the chrome vinyl wraps around.
Prior to mounting, I spread epoxy all over to prevent the edges of the vinyl from lifting.
Name: DSC_6433_zpsxfnfvr4t.jpg Views: 380 Size: 153.4 KB

Epoxy’d the top cover. The reason I used chrome vinyl is so that the DRL assembly flows well with the rest of the headlight.
Name: DSC_6445_zpsrx920vb5.jpg Views: 350 Size: 163.7 KB

Close up of fitment.
Name: DSC_6446_zpshfidfuvi.jpg Views: 328 Size: 192.2 KB

The Denso slims had the short cords, this would be problematic for most retrofits…
I extended the wires while making the ballasts D2S/AMP hybrid. This will make headlight removal easier as well.
Name: DSC_6468_zps709gl5yn.jpg Views: 324 Size: 177.3 KB

Soldered + adhesive lined shrink tubing. Notice how the solder joints offset one-another, good practice in case the joint or insulation fails (which it shouldn’t, lol).
Name: DSC_6469_zpskeu7atqn.jpg Views: 350 Size: 186.2 KB

Terminals crimped on.

Ooooohhh, aaaahhh… I’ll be potting the ballasts as well.

Wires fished out through a rubber grommet.
Here’s the wiring setup: The one loom has the DRL + solenoid wires, the other has the ballast cord.
Name: DSC_6476_zpsd1a8bwpp.jpg Views: 354 Size: 114.0 KB

Cap screwed on, sealing the back from dust/water.
The 3-pin connector wires: solenoid positive, ground, and DRL positive.
Name: DSC_6474_zpsotdng89f.jpg Views: 335 Size: 112.5 KB

The rubber grommet at the bottom.
Name: DSC_6477_zpsiifryxrf.jpg Views: 369 Size: 122.5 KB

Headlight completed!
Name: DSC_6482_zpsdcuxr7mf.jpg Views: 315 Size: 176.7 KB

Here’s the custom DRL controller + headlight controller.

The DRL controller has a dual brightness mode via an external PWM (ebay). Also, I’ve made it so engaging the e-brake will disable the DRL, just like the stock DRL. This will give me the ability to pull the handbrake up one click and have the DRLs off if I need to be stealthy, lol.

On the right is the low+high beam controller. basically it’s a delay off circuit. Meaning, if the headlights are on and then turn them off, it will take about 2 seconds to shut off… I did this mainly for flashing while the headlights are off. This way it’s not flashing the ballasts as they remain on in between flashes.
Name: DRL-headlight_controller_zpse6mnqqvz.jpg Views: 360 Size: 201.0 KB

Ebay PWM at the bottom.

Potted the Denso ballasts.
Name: DSC_6484_zps9upsmorf.jpg Views: 381 Size: 209.9 KB

Made a 9004 “connector” out of an old bulb. Removed the bulb and soldered wires onto the pins, then filled it with potting compound.
Name: DSC_6487_zps8omya040.jpg Views: 335 Size: 60.8 KB

Eventually I plan on making an Arduino controlled DRL/headlight controller, it will have a fancy aluminum housing… For now, I’ve got the current setup wrapped in electrical tape… yea, it looks like a grease job, LOL.
Name: DSC_6488_zpst4pfmosu.jpg Views: 384 Size: 104.4 KB

Installed.
Name: DSC_6506_zpsj2vc0yas.jpg Views: 350 Size: 171.1 KB

DRLs on:
Name: DSC_6499_zps1cqiqgqz.jpg Views: 442 Size: 436.9 KB

LEDs are dimmed when parking lights come on.

Low beams on:
Name: DSC_6502_zpsldgvtz5p.jpg Views: 345 Size: 182.5 KB

I don’t have output pics at the moment, but I’ll get them in the next few days.