Community Member Credit: Rico Rodriguez
Big shout to Rico for spending countless hours in finding a cost-effective solution to coilpacks for the VQ35DE engine. This also works on other models and years.
For those that don’t know, Audi coilpacks are stronger and better than Nissan coilpacks. They add better mpg and more HP/TQ. It works on bone stock vehicles or highly modified vehicles. Just rewire the OEM pigtails to Audi pigtails, plug it in and play!
Nissan Coilpack only has 1 coil. Audi has 2 coils as you can see in the picture below. By having 2 coils it doubles the spark output and can easily handle spark blow out that turbocharged vehicles suffer from. Because it’s outer exterior has a metal body it can dissipate heat ALOT quicker than Nissan rubber which helps with heat cycling. It’s also cheaper than OEM Nissan Coilpacks.
Audi R8 Coil Pack Advantages:
- 50,000 volts compared to Nissans/Infiniti 30,000 volts.
- Some measure it with Kv so Nissans coils put out 21Kv while VW coils put out 30Kv
- Quicker Heat dissipation. (Because of its metal body construction it can quickly dissipate heat. Nissan OEM body is made out of rubber that isolates heat instead of disperses it.)
- More complete burn of the fuel mixture compared to OEM Nissan which equals to better MPG.
- Idle Stability Improved
- NO CEL (Check Engine Lights)
- BEST PART ABOUT THEM IS THEY ARE CHEAPER $$$ than Nissan OEM yet they are much better.
- Looks 10000% Cooler than OEM Coilpacks
Now the coil packs price varies due to different name brands. They range from $132-$216 for a V6 engine. Below is the link of the coil packs below so you can see the prices and brands. Doesn’t matter which brand you use, I’ve tested them all and they all make the same exact power.
Installed a 2003 Nissan Maxima (Credit: Altaf Rahaman)
Important Note: The 02-08 DE Manifold requires NWP spacers.
Important Note: The 2nd Gen Engine does not require spacers. Straight plug-n-play.
You can also purchase the adapters directly from Rico. Below are the prices.
Create Connectors using O2 Plugs (Credit: Rob Tilley)
Finally got my R8 coils installed today and I must say it was definitely worth the time and money I spent. I installed them on my turbo 350z running 15psi with #7 plugs. Car runs so much smoother, especially under boost. It’s a totally different car. I used o2 plugs from a 02/03 Maxima to make the adapters for the plug. Just have to file down the alignment guide on the outside of the blue connector.
Make your Own Clean Connectors using new Plugs: https://www.my4dsc.com/audi-r8-coilpacks-installed-on-nissan-maxima-vq35de-make-your-own-plug-n-play-connectors/
If you’re splicing directly (Courtesy of Jerome Fenwick)
Nissan OEM Coilpack vs Audi R8 Price Difference (Courtesy of EddyMaxx)